I'm so late to the kale chip game, and boy do I ever know this. But that doesn't mean I'm not gonna try to hop on the kale chip bandwagon and party with the cool kids. Luckily, potatoes are on the list of foods I can eat, so I can still have potato chips, but in the interest of, oh, I don't know, health, I've decided to give these little green suckers a chance.
And in my opinion, lemons make almost everything taste better. So I made sure this recipe is nice and lemony.
I was inspired by Averie's kale chips, only hers have a cup and a half of cashews which I didn't have on hand. So I improvised, and using her recipe as a rough guideline, made my own.
Erin's Salty Lemony Kale Chips
1 Large Bunch Organic Kale
1 Roasted Red Pepper (about 1/2 a jar, mine was Trader Joe's Brand)
1/4 C. Nutritional Yeast
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Tbs. Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 Tbs. Tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
1 Tsp. Salt (omit if you don't want SUPER salty chips, the Bragg's and Tamari might be enough)
1/2 Tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 Lemons, juiced
Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
1. Wash and dry all of your kale. Remove tough ribs from kale.
2. Put pepper and all other ingredients into the blender.
3. Set blender to "Liquefy" setting if possible, or blend until mixture is liquid.
4. Put mixture into a large bowl, and dip each of the leaves into the mixture.
5. Place leaves onto greased baking sheets.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, and then take out of oven, and using a set of tongs, turn each piece over. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
If you're really adventurous, you can even pretend these are real chips and dip them in hummus. I finally picked up some Sabra since everyone seems to have their panties in a twist obsessing about this stuff, and I have to say, I wasn't really impressed. I just feel that it's twice the price, twice the calories (!) and has 1/2 the flavor of the Trader Joe's brand of hummus. For now, Joe's my guy in the hummus department. That is, until I finally make my own, and then clearly, I'll win.
Happy Monday, Lovlies! It's gonna be a great week!
P.S. Only a few hours left to enter my Zevia giveaway!!! Hurry! Winners will be announced today!